I will be honest with you this is not an easy recipe to make, but well worth the trouble. If you are lucky enough to have a mediterranean grocery store near by you maybe able to by the dough pre-made. As I have said in my previous Lebanese recipe post this is an aquired taste, but one that dances in my mouth.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 ounces of frozen spinach
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon thickened pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
For the dough
- Sift the flour into a working surface. Mix in salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour olive oil and vegetable oil in the well. Mix the dry ingredients into the liquid.
- Add water gradually. Knead the dough into a ball (if the dough is too stiff add some water).
- Knead the dough on a floured working surface until it is smooth and elastic this can be done in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or in a food processor.
- Form the dough into a ball and put into a lightly floured bowl, covered with a damp cloth. Leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size- about 6 hours.
- Prepare dough Leave aside and cover for an hour to rise. Make sure dough doubles in volume.
- Remove roots and yellow leaves from spinach. Chop finely then wash well and drain, rub with ½ tspn salt. Drain spinach again with your hands to dry.
- Mash the onions with remaining salt. Add pepper and sumac. Add spinach to onion, then mix in oil and pomegranate. Put aside.
- Roll out dough using a rolling pin till dough is as thin as possible (5 mm). Invert a tea cup on dough and press to have equal circles.
- Place a tbls of spinach filling on each piece. Bring up sides at 3 points to form a triangular shape.
- Press edges firmly with fingertips to seal completely (put flour on finger tips tohelp seal).
- Place pies on oiled baking sheets. Bake in a hot oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes. (Watch as your over may cook faster or slower)