- 1 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup dry red wine (optional)
- 8oz mushrooms drained
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and cook over medium-high heat, until onions start to brown, stirring occasionally. When onions are slightly softened and turning a deep brown, add 1/4 cup broth.
- Reduce heat, cover and continue cooking, adding more broth as needed to prevent caramelized bits at the bottom of the pan from burning. It should take at least 25 to 30 minutes to properly caramelize onions.
- Stir in flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Add wine and mushrooms reduce by half. Stir in remaining beef broth
- Stir in cider vinegar. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com