I did a lot of growing on up a ranch outside of Houston. Many of my favorite memories from the ranch revolve around the dinner table. We always had fresh vegetables on the table that my Dad grew. He always grew a lot of peas. We would have black-eyed peas, purple hulls, and field peas. To this day I love peas just as much as I did when I was a kid.
Today I don’t have the luxury of home grown and I don’t always have time to go to the farmers market so the next best thing is getting my peas out of a can. I must admit they are not anywhere near as good as homegrown, but you have to take what you can get. When I make pea’s I always have to “dress them up” to make them feel more like home and more like the comfort food I love. Here is my way of dressing up a can of black eyed peas.
- 1 can of black eyed peas (I prefer Bush’s)
- 1 tbsp. of bacon drippings
- ¼ diced onion
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- In a sauce pan add bacon drippings and onion sauté until onion is tender.
- While your onion is sautéing open the can of black eyed peas (do not drain) and remove ½ the peas and smash them on a plate using a fork. They should look like a thick paste when you are done. Once your onion is tender add the smashed peas along with the remainder of the peas in the can.
- To the peas add onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Cook for about 10 minutes just long enough to give the spices enough time to mingle with one another and enough time to heat your peas all the way through.
Number of Servings: 4
- 81 calories per serving
- 15 carbs
- 1 grams of fat
- 5 protein
- 0 sugar
*Nutritional information found on www.myfitnesspal.com this information will vary based on the products you use.*
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com
Published by Nicole
Hi thank you for stopping by. I am very excited to have you here. Pull up a chair and have a seat, this is the view from my side of the table.
View all posts by Nicole
1 thought on “Dressed Up Canned Black Eyed Pea’s”
I have a can of black eyed peas in my pantry that I had no idea what I was going to do with….until now! Can't wait to try this!