|I served 1 cup of etouffee with a grilled cheese sandwich|
This recipe is fantastic. I love black-eyed peas so I knew I was going to love this recipe but to be honest with you I didn’t think anyone else in my house would love it as much, but I was wrong.
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra (un-breaded)
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 4 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas with liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (more or less)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat the bacon fat in a large saucepan over medium heat, to the pot add rice, onion, pepper, and celery then cook until tender.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and mix black-eyed peas with liquid, diced tomatoes and diced tomatoes with green chills, and garlic.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low
- Simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Add more broth if soup is too thick.
- Add in hot sauce and salt and pepper
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com