This recipe is amazing. We have been eating on it off and on for days. It’s quickly become a favorite recipe. This recipe is super easy, filling, and delicious! I never thought I could love beans as a main dish but this is one that I could eat until I was sick. The flavor is just incredible!
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, or to taste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 4-6 cups chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons baking soda
- **36 hours before making your beans it’s important that you wash the dry beans then place them in a bowl with just enough water to cover them. Mix in two tablespoons of baking soda then let them sit for 24 hours. After 24 hours clean the water and wash the beans. Repeat with water and baking soda for another 12 hours. This soaking process will help with removing anything from the beans that will upset your stomach and the soaking will speed up the cooking process. **
- To a large pot add diced bacon, garlic and onion. Cook until the bacon starts getting crispy (do not drain drippings), then add drained beans and all remaining ingredients pour enough broth over the beans to cover them adding an extra two inches of broth above the beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer covered for 3 hours.
- Add salt to taste at this point.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com