This is an awesome recipe. I did adapt it a bit from the original recipe to fit my taste better. This is the first time I have ever had Minestrone and I loved it. The flavor is incredible!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrot, diced
- 1/3 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6-8 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shell pasta
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrot and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Stir in the green beans, dried oregano and basil, salt, and pepper cook 3 more minutes.
- Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a boil. You may find that you need more broth at this point.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10-20 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, parmesan cheese, and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 135 calories per serving
- 21 carbs
- 3 grams of fat
- 7 protein
- 5 sugar
*Nutritional information found on www.myfitnesspal.com this information will vary based on the products you use.*
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com