I was in a jam a few weeks ago. I had no idea what to make for dinner. I knew I didn’t have any desire to leave my warm house and head out for dinner nor did I want fast fun! That sounded terrible. I decided that I would make this quick and easy recipe because I had everything on hand!
It turned out great! I threw it together and stuck it in the oven in a matter or no time. If you don’t have chicken ready to cook you can always use canned chicken. If you are like me you always have chicken in the freezer cut into chunks waiting to be cooked, and I always have corn tortillas in the freezer too. I buy the pick pack then freeze the rest. They never go to waste that way.
Rotel, cheese, and cream of whatever soup is always ready in our house too. Once again pantry staples. This recipe is great! It’s also something you can make ahead of time maybe on Sunday to free up time during the work week, it also makes a great freezer meal. I think you could change it up a bit too, you can change the heat by changing the Rotel from mild to hot, chicken to beef, or even adding in some veggies like corn to the mix.
This recipe is really great, quick and easy! I think adding a bit of heat to it is key for great flavor!
- 2-10 3/4oz cans of cream of chicken
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- 3- tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. dry onion flakes (you could use fresh onion)
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 10oz can of dice tomatoes and green chilies
- 12-6in corn tortillas
- 3 cups of raw diced chicken
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a frying pan add butter and oil and heat until butter is melted. Next add chicken to the oil and coat chicken well
- Next to the pan add chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried onion flakes
- Pan fry chicken until it’s cooked through then turn off burner
- Once the chicken is cooked if necessary cut into smaller bite sizes pieces
- To the pan of chicken (do not remove drippings from the pan) add canned soup and tomatoes and mix them up all together, then set aside.
- Chop up the tortillas into bite sized pieces.
- To a 9X13 pan add a small amount of the chicken and soup mix just enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan maybe ¼ cup.
- Add 1/3 of the tortillas
- Add ½ chicken/soup mix
- Light layer of cheese
- 1/3 of the tortillas
- Second ½ of soup mix
- Light layer cheese
- Last 1/3 of the tortillas
- Generous layer of remaining cheese
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes
- If it’s too runny allow to set for 5 minutes to thicken
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com
Published by Nicole
Hi thank you for stopping by. I am very excited to have you here. Pull up a chair and have a seat, this is the view from my side of the table.
View all posts by Nicole