I am in love with this recipe oh my it’s soooo good!! Although I made it a tad differently than the original recipe, it turned out so good that I don’t think I would change a thing that I did. Basically the only changes I made were using jarred spaghetti sauce instead of tomato sauce and I used milk instead of heavy cream because it’s what I had on hand.
I used the spaghetti sauce because I had part of a jar in the frig that needed to be used and I thought why not? The great thing about the jarred sauce is that it had spices in it that the original recipe didn’t have. I am not a huge fan of jarred sauce because it seems to mostly be lacking flavor but with a little work this terrible jar of sauce turned into a wonderful masterpiece. It’s a great way to use up some extra sauce and boy does it make a great presentation.
Because of the pictures in the original recipe I used lasagna noodles cut into strips for my pasta but to be honest with you I will never do that again. The pasta sauce is nice and light and to me requires a pasta that is the same way. Although the lasagna noodles were cut into strips they were still too thick and cumbersome. Not good at all!
This sauce recipe is fantastic! The entire family loved it. It was quick and easy and super inexpensive. I had everything I needed on hand so I had nothing to lose by trying it. This recipe is also a great meatless meal!
For those concerned with the vodka not to worry because the alcohol burns off and all you are left with is flavor. Don’t leave the vodka out or you are defeating the purpose of the entire recipe. You will not taste any alcohol flavor at all.
I am so thankful we have leftover for lunch!! This will be a regular items on our menu especially when I can get cheap jarred pasta sauce on sale.
- 1 pound Pasta
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Chopped Finely
- 2 cloves (to 3 Cloves) Garlic, Chopped
- 1 cup Vodka
- 14 oz. Jarred Spaghetti Sauce or 1 large can of Tomato Puree
- 1 cup Heavy Cream or milk
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, being careful not to overcook.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and butter. When butter is melted, add in chopped onion and garlic. Stir and allow to cook for two minutes. Pour in vodka. Stir and cook for three minutes. Add in tomato puree and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cream. Allow to simmer, being careful not to overheat. Stir in red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water in case sauce is too thick. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, tossing to combine. Splash in a little water if it needs it. Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour mixture into large serving bowl. Garnish with more Parmesan cheese.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com