In search for a meatless spaghetti sauce I came across this delicious pot of yumminess. This is a fantastic sauce. I wasn’t sure if I would like it or not because I grew up on sauce with ground beef in it. It’s hard to change your ways if you know what I mean. The only time I have ever had any spaghetti sauce without meat came from a jar on the grocery store shelf.
I was really impressed with the ease and simplicity of this recipe. The longer it cooks the better the flavor. It was even better the next day. This would be a really great recipe to double or even triple then freeze for future use.
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 12 cups chopped peeled fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (camino)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- In a Dutch oven, sauté onions in oil until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaves, salt, oregano, pepper and basil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaves.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com
2 thoughts on “Zesty Meatless Spaghetti Sauce”
What are those delicious looking baguettes in the background??
Thank you Michelle here is the recipe link for the bread http://www.colieskitchen.com/2013/03/party-pizazz-cheesy-garlic-bread-spread.html