I LOVED this recipe! It’s easy, quick and oh so simple! I love Philly Cheese steak sandwiches! The problem with making them is if you are going to use a good piece of meat to make them up it can cost you a small bundle, also taking the time to cut the meat thin enough can be very time consuming! I don’t want to have to deal with either one of those problems so I knew there had to be a compromise!
A lot of people use Steak-ums, but I saw the price on a box of those in the grocery store the other day and was utterly shocked. How it is that extra thin crappy meat can cost so much? I ended up buying a nice roast for cheaper and I got more for my money.
So anyway how do you come up with a Philly Joe? Well, a Philly Joe is the combination of a Philly cheese steak sandwich and a sloppy Joe = Philly Joe! They are excellent and make a great week night meal. You can even make the meat ahead of time and freeze it!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz. can of mushroom pieces drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 pack Lipton dry onion soup (if you can find it Beefy mushroom its even better)
- 8 slices of smoked provolone
- Salt and pepper
- 8 rolls or burger buns
- In a skillet brown ground beef and drain well of excess grease
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic cook until vegetables are tender
- Add dry soup, and mushroom and water , then cook another 10-15 minutes on medium giving the soup time to season the meat well and cook until the excess liquid cooks down.
- Add salt and pepper as desired
- Place a large spoon full on a bun and top with provolone
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com