I found this article by Emily Hsieh, of Shine staff to be very interesting, and it explains why sometimes I have to re-wash things in my dishwasher. My husband loads the dishwasher just like hers. I guess I never thought about a proper technique for loading my dishwasher. Original article link.
My husband and I are divided when it comes to loading the dishwasher. My methodology is aimed at space efficiency: I line up all the plates on one side, all the cups on the other, and anything random/big in the middle. His technique, or lack of, is completely haphazard—he just throws things in the machine in the first empty spot he sees (which means only about half as many dishes fit). And as it turns out, as was reported in The New York Times, there is actually a science to this, and my approach could use some finessing too. Here are some pointers from the Consumer Reports Home and Garden blog to help your dishwasher perform at its best, and to prevent your dishes from chipping:
1. Load large items at the sides and back of the dishwasher, so that they don’t block water and detergent from reaching other dishes.
2. Place the dirtier side of dishes toward the center of the machine to provide more exposure to the spray. Don’t let dishes or utensils nest, or rest side by side, which can prevent water from reaching all surfaces.
3. Use the top rack for plastic and delicate items that are dishwasher safe.
4. Rest glassware on prongs to prevent breakage. And to prevent chipping, make sure that china, crystal, and stemware don’t touch other items. Don’t machine-wash brass, bronze, cast iron, disposable plastics, gold-colored flatware, gold-leaf china, hollow-handle knives, pewter, tin, or anything made of wood or with a wood handle.
5. Load silverware with handles down but place knives with the handles up. If your dishwasher has an open basket, mix spoons, forks, and knives to prevent them from sticking together.
6. Place items with baked-on food facedown and toward the sprayer in the bottom rack.
1 thought on “The do’s and don’ts of loading your dishwasher”
Hmmm I think the only thing I was doing right was putting delicate stuff up top and mixing the utensils. Dang! thanks so much for sharing!