A few years ago I found this recipe on Good Morning American’s website. I fell in love and knew that if I was ever anywhere near a Serendipity that I would have to try the authentic Frozen Hot Chocolate. They have one in Las Vegas near Cesar’s Palace (of course the original one is in NYC), and it’s just amazing. I think Disney World is the greatest place on earth, and Serendipity is the second greatest place on earth!!
This recipe is super simple, and the best thing I think I have ever had to drink. I don’t use “best-quality chocolate” I just use whatever I have laying around that no one will eat. You know that bowl with a few Hershey Kisses, a few Hershey bars, and so on.
Remember it’s just plan chocolate nothing with nuts, or caramel. You certainly could use better quality chocolate, but don’t let that stop you from making this. I have used chocolate bark and it was amazing. Don’t skimp on the heavy cream that is the deal breaker in this recipe. It’s where the decadence comes from.
- 3 ounces best-quality chocolate
- 2 teaspoons store-bought hot chocolate mix
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups ice
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate shavings
Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream, very cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and melt chocolate in a small heavy saucepan or in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir occasionally until melted.
- Add the hot chocolate mix and sugar, stirring constantly until blended.
- Remove from heat, slowly add half a cup of the milk, and stir until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, place the remaining cup of milk, the chocolate mixture, and the ice.
- Blend on high speed until smooth and the consistency of a frozen daiquiri.
- Pour into a giant goblet and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!!
- Combine the cream and vanilla and mix well. With an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, start whipping the cream on medium speed. Add the corn syrup slowly while beating. Whip until the cream holds soft peaks.
- Slather, drop and dollop onto whatever your heart desires. Makes 2 to 2 1/2 cups, enough for 1 to 5 persons, depending on if you feel like sharing.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com