This is a really great way to use up extra mashed potatoes, or to pre-plan a second meal piggy backing off a side dish. This really doesn’t cost much, and it’s easy. It literally took me ten minutes to put together. It’s a nice warm, hearty, and quick meal for a week night dinner.
- 3 (packed) cups of left over mashed potatoes
- 3 tbs bacon bits (do not use Baco’s)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cans of carnation canned milk or about 4 1/2 cups of milk
- 3 ounces shredded cheddar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 thinly sliced green onions (scallions)
- Top with green onions, cheese, bacon bits, or all!
- In a sauce pan melt butter
- To the butter add bacon bits, and green onions cook until the green onions are soft
- Add mashed potatoes to the pot and start slowly adding each can of milk one at a time using a whisk to mix together mixture in the pot.
- Once each can is added and the mixture is well mix together bring to a boil, but continue to mix together so you don’t burn the soup.
- Once the soup comes to a boil add the cheddar.
- Add salt and pepper to taste at this point.
- Turn down the temperature and simmer and serve when you are ready.