- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped into approx 1 inch squares or pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth (I prefer it with the chicken)
- Heat oil and butter in large heavy and wide saucepan or sauté pan; add cabbage, salt, pepper, and stir over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add broth (I usually add a bit of sherry, too) and bring to boil, cover and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Raise heat to medium, uncover and let juices reduce to about half (be careful not to let burn).
- Taste and adjust seasoning, serve hot.
3 thoughts on “Simmered Cabbage”
Made this with dinner! I still had some left over cabbage too. Both my husband and I thought it was great! Thanks for posting 🙂
Sounds good, I will have to try it.
Oh I love cabbage! I guess I just had to grow up to appreciate and enjoy all these delicious vegetables.