- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed
- 1 (12-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups water
- In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside to use as a topping for the peas.
- Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the peas, diced tomatoes and green chiles, salt, chili powder, pepper and water.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peas are tender.
- Add additional water, if necessary.
- Serve garnished with crumbled bacon.