I made this for dinner, but it actually started as a two week process. Two weeks ago I roasted a larger chicken for dinner. I purchased a chicken that was much bigger than we would ever use, but there was a purpose to my madness. When dinner was over I filled a pot full of water and added the chicken bones and left over chicken and a tablespoon of chicken bouillon granules to the pot. I let it slow cook for several hours then deboned chicken, leaving everything else in the pot. I transferred everything to a freezer container, and left it there for two weeks. This morning I took it out of the freezer, around lunch time tossed it in the crock pot with the spices , chopped onion and carrots, and cream of shroom soup, then let it cook in the crock pot for five hours, 30mins before eating dinner I added left over spaghetti that I chopped up into 1 1/5 inch pieces. (I freeze left over pasta from spaghetti nights in ziploc bags so I always have it on hand ready to use for a recipe like this, or for a pasta side dish… plus it doesn’t go to waste) Then we ate. With winter slowly approaching (on Houston time) this recipe is always a winter winner. It’s hearty and full of flavor. I like to start it early in the morning and let it simmer all day long. The key to making this recipe all it can be is fresh homemade chicken broth. Quick, easy and dirt cheap!
- 4 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 4 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup (with roasted garlic)
- salt (to taste )
- pepper, (to taste )
- 2 cups egg noodles, cooked (or chopped spaghetti noodles)
- 2 teaspoons fines herbes (chervil, chives, parsley, and tarragon)
- Remove skin from the chicken and chop the meat.
- Put the chicken into a slow cooker with the onions, celery, carrots and peas.
- Stir in broth, mushroom soup, and fines herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 8 to 9 hours.
- When soup is finished, stir in egg noodles.
- Season to taste and serve. Enjoy!