One thing I love about this recipe is the fact that I keep each of these items on hand at all times. I normally keep coconut in the freezer, alone with extra margarine. I buy my vanilla in a large bottle from Mexico so we always have plenty, and everything else is pretty much an everyday item. If you are in a pinch and need to make a dessert or money is tight, this makes a great presentation for a very little amount of money. If you serve it warm it’s more like a custard, but if you refrigerate it you will have more of a typical pie. Quick, Easy, Yummy, and Cheap! Wah-la! What more can you ask for?
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar or Sweetner (Sometimes I used Ideal, then the pie is sugar free, and really good)
- 4 eggs (3 will work if they’re extra large)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cup flaked coconut
- Combine all of the ingredients, except 1 1/2 cups of the coconut, together in a blender.
- Cover and blend on low speed for 3 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch pie pan.
- Let stand about 5 minutes
- Mix in 1/2 Cup coconut
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 Cup of coconut
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Refrigerate for 5 hours or until cold.