- 1 (3-4 lb) whole chickens
- 1 gallon water
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced thin or 1/2 medium
- 4 carrot chopped
- 6 chicken bouillon cubes
Bisquick Dumpling Ingredients:
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- Place whole chicken and water into large pot or dutch oven.
- Add poultry seasoning, garlic powder& pepper.
- Add celery, onion, carrot and bouillon cubes to remaining stock and continue to cook on simmer.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook chicken for about 1 hour or until tender.
- When done, carefully remove chicken from pot; set aside to cool.
- Remove from heat and cover pan.
- Remove skin and debone cooled chicken, then return the chicken back to the pot
- Reseason broth if needed
- In a medium bowl add Bisquick mix and milk stirring until a soft dough forms.
- Return chicken stock to a boil; drop dumplings in, a few at a time, as quickly as possible.
- Cook about 10 minutes with the lid off
- Then cook another 10 minutes with the lid on
- Last enjoy!!!
- This recipe will serve a family of 4 two main course meals. Leftovers can be frozen.
4 thoughts on “Big Thicket Chicken and Dumplings”
Yum! Now I am hungry! I can see me cooking this and soon!★Linda★
Oh, this is one of my favorite meals, especially on a chilly fall day. Thank you for the kind comment about my blog and for following. I look forward to knowing you and reading your posts!
Yum! Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm now following back. Come and enter my Giani Granite giveaway. Low entries!http://whirlwindofsurprises.blogspot.com/2010/08/giani-granite-review-and-giveaway-50.html
Wow! I'm sooo glad you stopped by my blog! I'm a new follower to you, LOVE all the recipes! I'm a southern gal myself, always love some good chicken & dumplings! (but, I am NOT the best cook in the world lol, but I'm working on that!) Thanks for stoppin by 🙂 Amanda