This is a fun variation of a banana bread recipe. Banana definitely takes a back burner to the citrus flavors. The lime, lemon, and the rum, are the flavors that pop out. The brown sugared coconut on top complete this bread.
This is an excellent summer treat! Add a margarita and what more could you ask for?
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup banana, mashed and over ripe
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (or rum flavoring)
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons dark rum (or rum flavoring)
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease loaf pan.
2. Beat together 2 tablespoons of softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until fluffy. Slowly beat in sugar until well combined. Add the egg and mix well.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
4. In a different bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, 2 tablespoons rum, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract; stir well.
5. Pour 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter and mix well. Mix in 1/2 of the mashed bananas. Continue with another 1/3 of the flour, followed by the remaining banana mixture, and finally the remaining flour. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup coconut flakes.
6. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about one hour. When finished, cool for 10 minutes in the pan, remove, and finish cooling on a wire rack.
7. After you take the banana bread out of the oven, prepare the topping by stirring together the brown sugar, remaining butter, lime juice, and 2 teaspoons of rum in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer stirring constantly; cook until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about one minute. Remove from heat, and stir in 2 tablespoons pecans, and 2 tablespoons coconut. Spoon this topping over the loaf while still warm. The topping will harden slightly when the loaf cools.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com
Published by Nicole
Hi thank you for stopping by. I am very excited to have you here. Pull up a chair and have a seat, this is the view from my side of the table.
View all posts by Nicole