This is one of my husband’s favorite side dishes. It’s one of those recipes that have to be doubled because he loves it that much. It’s very good. The first time I had it was at a restaurant in Dallas called Don Pablo’s. This recipe is actually a copy of Chi Chi’s Sweet Corn Cakes.
I do not like Chi Chi’s, but I love their sweet corn cakes. I ate at one of their locations when I was visiting Baltimore, but I didn’t like it at all. I guess when you come from the land of Tex-Mex Chi Chi’s is nothing special.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup masa harina
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Blend butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy.
3. Add the masa harina and water to the butter and beat until well combined.
4. Add defrosted corn into blender or food processor and with short pulses, coarsley chop the corn on low speed. It is important to leave several whole pieces of corn.
5. Stir the chopped corn into the butter and masa harina mixture. Add cornmeal to the mixture and combine.
6. In another medium bowl, mix together the sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. When the ingredients are well blended, pour the mixture into the other bowl and stir everything together.
7. Pour corn batter into an ungreased “8×8” baking pan. Cover the pan with aluminum foil. Place this pan into a “9×13” pan filled 1/3 of the way up with hot water. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the corn cake is cooked through. When the corn cake is done, remove the small pan from the larger pan and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
8. To serve, scoop out each portion with an ice cream scoop or rounded spoon.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com