I love purple hull peas. To say they are a childhood memory would not be giving it enough credit. Shelling purple hull peas will always be a memory of time spent with my Dad. He was the king huller. A country Dad will always instill his instincts in his big city country girl. Good times and an amazing recipe.
I found this recipe on the purple hull festival website (Who knew?) This recipe was the first place winner by Christine Snider at the 2007 Purple Hull Pea Festival & World Championship. If anyone out there in cyber space knows Christine please pass on my information to her. I would love to tell her myself how much I love her recipe.
- 5-6 cups shelled purple hull peas
- 6 oz. centercut smokey bacon (use a good brand)
- Salt to taste
- Cut bacon into inch size pieces and lightly brown in a dutch oven or deep saucepan. Do not drain bacon grease.
- Add washed peas and enough water to cover plus one inch. Add 2 teaspoons salt.
- Boil over medium heat until tender (about 45 minutes).
- Taste and add more salt if needed.
Serve with hot, buttered cornbread.