I wasn’t sure what to expect with this recipe, but honestly I loved them. They are very light and airy. The flavor is mild, and has a nice subtle taste of cauliflower. The cauliflower cooks up very well. I was afraid it would be crunchy. As long as you make sure the fritters get golden brown and you nicely chop the cauliflower you won’t have that problem.
A few of the upscale restaurants in Houston serve these as appetizers, and let me tell you they go for a pretty penny!! They also go nicely with a good Aioli sauce. I will post a recipe for the one I served with these tomorrow. Thank you so much for this recipe Sara, it was wonderful.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk (you may have to add a few tablespoons of extra milk if it’s too thick…I did)
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 cup chopped raw cauliflower (chop well)
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Make a smooth batter with first 7 ingredients.
- Mix in next 3 ingredients.
- For best results, refrigerate for an hour or so (but not necessary).
- Drop by the spoon full into hot oil and deep fry til brown and crispy.
- Sprinkle with salt immediately upon removing from oil.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com