I have had several people ask me how to make sugared strawberries for strawberry shortcake. Since we were having strawberry shortcake for dessert on Easter Sunday I thought this would be a great time for me to share this quick and easy Sugared Strawberries recipe. I love the simple strawberry syrup that it creates, and it bring back great childhood memories. One thing I love about sugared strawberries is it’s red!! I know that sounds weird, but not to me. I am highly allergic to red dye #40. Pretty much anything and everything you find that is red and eatable has red dye #40 in it and I cannot have it. You would be amazed at the thing I can’t have like boxed yellow cake mixes. So basically anything red is off limits except for these. I know I can have them because I made them myself. I cannot trust anything that I cannot read a label on.
- 16 ounces (1 pound) of whole fresh strawberries
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- Wash and slice strawberries removing the leaves and stems
- In a closeable bowl (or you can put plastic wrap over your bowl) add the sliced strawberries and the sugar
- Mix together well and seal the bowl up
- Refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Serve over poundcake, angel food, or even ice cream