This is a really interesting recipe. I had never had Garbanzo Beans/Chickpeas in my life until tonight. Roasting them turns them into a nice healthy crunchy snack. I would compare them to a corn nut. Not as good as a corn nut, but still a very good healthy snack. Be sure to watch them really well the last 20mins because they tend to get done quickly. Some of mine got over cooked. The bad part is they are different sizes so it can be difficult to get them all cooked and not have some of them over cook.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans (chick peas)
- cooking spray/Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning, heaping
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- cayenne, to taste
- Drain garbanzo’s in a strainer and rinse well with cool water. Shake to help remove water. Let sit to drain while proceeding.
- Cover a rimmed cookie sheet or shallow casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour garbanzos on the foil and spread them into a single layer. Take a few sheets of paper towel and gently press over the top of the beans just to remove any extra liquid- speeds cooking time too.
- Spray top of beans with cooking spray and sprinkle seasonings over the beans. Shake pan to help distribute the seasoning and make sure the beans are all in a single layer.
- Place pan in an oven and set to 350 F- no need to preheat. Use lowest rack on oven and return every 15-20 minutes or so to shake the pan so nothing burns. Be gentle or they may spill over the sides. Cook until beans are browned and crispy. About 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour into a plastic bowl with tight fitting lid to cool. Careful they are HOT to the touch!