This is one of my favorite recipes. I don’t care what time of year it is hot or cold bring on my hearty chicken stew. This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid too. We would have it so often that finally my parents said NO MORE they were sick of it but I sure wasn’t!
- 1 lb. of boneless chicken breast raw
- 2 carrots
- 2 potatoes
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 16 oz. to 56 oz. of chicken broth or enough to fill to the top of your vegetables
- 1 tbsp. of ketchup
- 1/3 cup flour
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- 1/2 stick of butter
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- Pepper a few dashes
- Cut chicken up into bite size pieces
- In a zip bag mix flour salt and pepper together then add chicken pieces and shake until the chicken is well coated.
- Add butter to pot a 4 to 6 quart pot and melt.
- Add chicken to the pot. Cook chicken about 4 minutes or until the chicken is nicely browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside
- To the pot and remaining chicken drippings add celery and onion cook for another 3 minutes.
- Return the chicken back to the pot
- Next add in the vegetables, salt, pepper, thyme, and ketchup.
- Also if any flour is remaining in the zip bag add the flour in for thickening
- Once everything is in the pot top off with chicken broth
- Bring to a boil then lower the temperature to a simmer
- Stir every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning.
- cook until vegetables are tender.
Check Out Our Online Recipe Book: www.CafeChatterbox.com